Welcome

Welcome! This is my space to reflect, brainstorm, and share my knowledge about lymphedema and May-Thurner syndrome. I was diagnosed with primary lymphedema in my left leg and foot in 1999. After 12 lonely, swollen years, I discovered the world of lymphedema and became passionate about helping others find community. In 2015, much to my surprise, I found out I actually have secondary lymphedema. My lymphedema is a result of May-Thurner syndrome.

These diagnoses have not defined me, but they are leading me down a path of self-discovery and strength. And I want to document it.

Be Calm. Be Strong. Be Grateful.

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Warm Tea for your Lymphatic System!

Tea is my absolute favorite beverage to drink---caffeinated, herbal, hot, cold--it always fills me with a combination of comfort and vitality!  As an almost lifelong lymphie, I'm always looking for simple lifestyle changes or dietary modifications that might help support my lymphatic system.   I try to find things that I actually enjoy or could easily integrate into my schedule--why make life more complicated than I have to, right?

Take a look at these herbal teas that may help boost or nurture your lymph!

1. Nettle tea



Most health food stores sell both fresh nettle and pre-packaged tea bags. If you buy it fresh, be careful while you handle it!  It's not called Stinging Nettle for nothing!  Don't worry though, it doesn't really hurt, it's more like an uncomfortable sensation that lasts a few seconds to a couple of minutes. Nettle is thought to improve circulation, decrease inflammation, and assist the body's detoxification process.  It stimulates the lymph fluid, and because it contains high levels of iron and Vitamin C, it also increases red blood cell production.  These processes aid lymph movement and blood flow respectively, having a positive impact on overall circulation, particularly in the extremities.

The taste of Nettle tea can be described as earthy and smooth.  Some people have described it as tasting like "spinach water," but I feel this is a bit of an exaggeration and misleading.  It is one of my favorite teas to drink!

2. Echinacea tea



I typically see Echinacea sold in the form of an herb or a tincture.  When using a tincture, I simply add a dropper-full into hot water or hot tea.  Echinacea is reported to be anti-inflammatory, pain relieving, and a stimulant for the lymph system. Though researchers report mixed findings, there is some evidence that echinacea can boost the immune system to quicken the body's recovery time when fighting an infection (such as cellulitis!).  Other studies suggest that Echinacea is more effective when paired with other immune-boosting herbs, such as goldenseal or red root.  

Admittedly, Echinacea is not the best tasting tea; however, I feel the benefits outweigh the strong, bitter flavor.  If the fresh herb is not steeped too long, a more floral taste can be enjoyed.

3. Ginger tea



To make Ginger tea you can either buy pre-packaged ginger tea bags or buy ginger root.  I prefer the root because I feel like I get more benefit making the tea fresh (I'm not certain if that is true or not) and because it is cheaper and very easy to make.  You simply fill a pot with water, cut thin slices of the root, put the sliced ginger in the water, bring the water to boil for several minutes, and then let it stew for 5-10 minutes.

Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory agents, gingerols, which help reduce pain and improve mobility.  It is also thought to improve circulation and help clear the lymphatic system of toxins by increasing the flow.

Ginger tea is another favorite of mine, and I drink it almost daily.  (On a side note, ginger is also successful in relieving digestive discomfort).  When brewed strongly, ginger has a spicy, peppery flavor that has a warmness about it.

4. Dandelion tea


Yes, this tea is made out of that weed with the bright yellow flower.  However, I've never made the tea fresh from the weeds (though many people do!).  I typically purchase tea bags from a health food store.  This tea is probably the least effective on this list in directly supporting the functioning of the lymphatic system, but I do feel that its myriad benefits are important when considering the lymphatic system as it relates to our bodies as a whole.   Dandelion tea contains numerous amino acids, vitamins, and minerals including but not limited to: iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, niacin, potassium, zinc, riboflavin, and B vitamins.  It is thought to support several body systems, such as lymphatic, digestive, and circulatory as well as organs such as the liver and kidneys.  It promotes general well-being and harmony in our body systems, which optimizes function and decreases stress and inflammation.

Dandelion tea has a light, slightly bitter, roasted taste.  Some sources have compared it to coffee; however, I will not say that because I don't think it's true.  It definitely does NOT taste like coffee. However, I do like the flavor and rank it right up there with Nettle.



One last thing-try not to add dairy milk or sugar, both of which are inflammatory and can increase your lymphatic system's workload!



Happy Brewing! Let me know what you think about these teas or any that I missed in the comments!


Sources:

Nettle
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/stinging-nettle.html
http://www.herballegacy.com/Vance_Medicinal.html

Echinacea
http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/thesite/lymphedema_herbal_supplements.htm
http://www.drinkherbaltea.com/echinacea-tea/

Ginger
http://www.itmonline.org/arts/lymphedema.htm
https://www.earthclinic.com/cures/lymphedema.html
http://blog.doctoroz.com/oz-experts/herb-of-the-month-ginger

Dandelion
http://www.gentle-stress-relief.com/benefits-of-dandelion.html





1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed of Herpes 2 years ago and I have tried all possible means to get the cure but all to no avail, until I saw a post in a health forum about a Herbal Doctor(Dr Akhigbe) who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Herpes, at first i doubted, if it was real but decided to give him a trial, when I contacted Dr Akhigbe through his Email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com he guided me and prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier Delivery service,when I received the package (herbal medicine) He gave me instructions on how to consume it,I started using it as instructed and I stopped getting outbreaks and the sores started vanishing, could you believe I was cured of this deadly virus within two to three weeks and notices changes in my body. Days of using this REMEDY,couldn't believe the healing at first until I see it as my HERPES  get cleared like magic Dr Akhigbe also use his herbal medicine to cure diseases like, HIV, HERPES, CANCER, ALS, CHRONIC DISEASE, HEART DISEASE, LUPUS, ASTHMA,  DIABETES  HEPATITIS A AND B.ECZEMA, BACK PAIN, EXTERNAL INFECTION ,ASTHMA, MALARIA, DENGUE FEVER, BACTERIA DIARRHEA, RABIES, OBESITY, PROGERIA,  MENINGITIS, EPILEPSY,STROKE, LYMPHEDEMA, GALLSTONE, PENIS  EJACULATION, HPV, OSTEOPOROSIS, RHEUMATISM, THYROID, COLD & FLU,KIDNEY DISEASE,ACME. ERYSIPELAS. etc Contact this great herbal Doctor today the father of herbal root cure. via Email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatsapp him  +2349010754824   and get cured permanently He is real..website:      https:drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete