Welcome

Welcome! This is my space to reflect, brainstorm, and share my knowledge about lymphedema and May-Thurner syndrome. I was diagnosed with primary lymphedema in my left leg and foot in 1999. After 12 lonely, swollen years, I discovered the world of lymphedema and became passionate about helping others find community. In 2015, much to my surprise, I found out I actually have secondary lymphedema. My lymphedema is a result of May-Thurner syndrome.

These diagnoses have not defined me, but they are leading me down a path of self-discovery and strength. And I want to document it.

Be Calm. Be Strong. Be Grateful.

Saturday, March 14, 2015

"Alone We Are Rare, Together We Are Strong" (National Organization for Rare Diseases--NORD)


National Organization for Rare Diseases (click to visit their website)


Primary Lymphedema 
Primary lymphedema is a rare congenital condition that results in the accumulation of lymph fluid, usually in the lower extremities (but can be anywhere in the body).  The swelling may be present at birth, or may surprise its "victims" a bit later in life (usually around puberty or young adulthood).  I use the word victim from experience.  I was "attacked"around age 11 by this mysterious, inflammatory intruder.  Lymphedema interrupted my life, frightened my parents, perplexed my doctors, and left me with physical and emotional scars.  It took a dozen years to assert command over my lymphedema, but I am no longer a victim.  



Secondary Lymphedema
Secondary lymphedema results in many of the same symptoms as primary lymphedema (swelling, pain, heaviness, skin changes, etc.)  However, instead of being caused by an improperly formed lymphatic system, secondary lymphedema is caused when an intact lymphatic system is injured.  Examples include: surgery, radiation, trauma, cancer, infection, and May-Thurner Syndrome (MTS).  Recently, I discovered that what I thought was primary lymphedema with an onset at puberty, was actually secondary lymphedema caused by MTS.

May-Thurner syndrome (MTS)
May-Thurner syndrome is a rare medical condition that occurs when the left illiac artery compresses the left illiac vein.  It can happen on the right side, but it is more common on the left.  This compression increases the risk for deep vein thrombosis (DVT), also known as blood clots.  It also may result in lymphedema. 
  



Alone We Are Rare. I love the quote that comprises the title of this post.  I don't personally know many people who have lymphedema, and I don't know a single other soul who has MTS, let alone someone who has both of these conditions.  I feel rare, and it is easy to let that transform into lonely, depressed, and anxious.  It is a dangerous and precarious place to be because a gentle push may lead to hopelessness and defeat. 



Together We Are Strong.  We need to find "our people" so we can feel supported enough to raise our voices.  I am so grateful that I found my angels at Therapeia Lymphedema and Stanford  Here, I found my bridge into the Lymphedema and May-Thurner syndrome worlds that existed in reality and not just in my day dreams.  I was awakened to compression garments, night-time garments, wrapping, manual lymph drainage, exercises, diet changes, and most important of all....a community of people with lymphedema and/or MTS who knew my fears, my insecurities, and my challenges.
Within each other, we will find courage and strength.  The task has fallen on us to educate one another and our doctors.  We deserve better medical care and adequate insurance coverage.  I believe the most effective way to improve our daily lives and to see a better future is to come out of our cocoons and raise awareness together.




It is with this thought that I wish to start my blog: "Alone we are rare, but together we are strong."

3 comments:

  1. Nicole, I am interested in knowing more about the change in your diagnosis! I too have been a life long sufferer of Lymphedema (since age 14 now 39) and 5 years ago when having a complete LE workup May Thurner was found on CT scan. I have symptoms that my LE doctor tell me aren't LE symptoms and I am starting to wonder if these are symptoms of my May Thurner. My LE is in my left leg. I am trying to figure out where to go from here. Your blog has inspired me to dig deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vascular Care Center is the specialized hospital for treatment of vascular and endovascular diseases. Experienced surgeons diagnosis the patient's condition and treatments are given according to the stage of the disease. There are different kinds of surgeries to get rid of vascular diseases. kinds of vascular surgery services performed at the vascular care center are Aneurysm atrophy, Aorta by Femoral Bypass, Ilio Femoral Bypass, Femoral Popliteal Bypass, Femoral Distal Bypass, Carotid Endarterectomy. Dr.G.V. Praveen Kumar, the most eminent vascular and endovascular surgeon performs all types of vascular surgeries.
    Vascular Surgeon in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...
    It is a cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it's come to health issues and getting cure. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like, Herpes, Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob,,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid. disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic,HIV, Epilepsy, Infertility, Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..

    ReplyDelete